Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Help Movie Inspired Fashion


 I watched the movie The Help yesterday and am currently reading the book as well. I loved the 50s and 60s fashion in the film.  The pencil skirts, floral prints, shirt dresses and ruffles were a few things that stood out in my mind after watching the film.  I think my absolute favorite fashion accessory is a thick red wavy belt.  So if anyone see's anything similar let me know! My outfit today is inspired by the look Celia Foote wears when showing Minny around her home for the first time.  My look is not quite as va-va-voom as Celia's but it works for me!




Skirt: Antropologie-Tomato Picking Skirt-$70
Shirt: JcPenny-Floral Print Button Down-$5 (similar here)
Belt: Ross-Navy Blue Belt-$3 (similar here)
Shoes:Payless Shoe Soure-Zoe&Zac Blue Peep-toe heels-$12 (similar here)
Approximate total cost~$90

 Another look I enjoyed was this grey pencil skirt worn by Emma Stone's character, Skeeter.  I found a similar skirt at Kmart.com for under $20!
Emma Stone's costume from The Help
Kmart-Counterparts Women's Side Tab Slimming Skirt-$18
I also sought inspiration from the maid uniforms and found these two adorable dresses.  One with a white collar and details like the uniforms and the other in blue with added frills.
Abileen's Maid uniform
Mod Cloth-Fair and Lemon Dress-$75


Old Navy- Women's Chambray Shirt Dress-$35
The villianess in the movie, Hilly Hollbrook, wears a lot of loud colorful floral prints.  Here are some looks similar to her's.
Mod Cloth-Day after Day Dress in Garden-$100

Mod Cloth-Tony's Flower's Dress-$60

Lastly, I wish I had purchased a romper this summer.  By the time I realized I liked them they were already hard to find in stores.  If I could find Celia's yellow romper, I'd be a happy gal.  The closest I found was this dress at ModCloth.

ModCloth-Lemonade on the Lawn Dress-$40

No comments:

Post a Comment